Thursday, January 6, 2011

Encouraging Kids to sew...




One of Miss 9's best friends is turning 10 this weekend and I asked her what she'd like for her birthday. She said she would love a sewing kit... the girls did sewing club at school last term and are hooked!

I went to spotlight in search of the perfect sewing 'box' and came across these great plain hat boxes.  It is rather large but my experience with Miss 9 is she needs the extra space to put her works in progress in there too.



I covered the lid with a special cover... embroidered her name (rediscovering my love of embroidery lately) and sewed on the word Sewing, stitched on a few buttons.



Inside are some goodies to get her started


A needle book (loving the mushroom/toadstool thing at the moment)


A little toadstool pincushion... I saw one on a blog post here and just couldnt resist making one... or three!! (miss 9 and I needed one each too). They each took about 10 minutes to make - super quick and super sweet.

some felt

and some other bits and pieces...


We are also giving her a copy of this brilliant book


Last Christmas Miss 9 received this fab book which is perfect for her age and skill level.
Over the last year each of her special friends has received a copy for their birthday.

I hope Emily loves her sewing kit!!
Now I am making another one for Miss 9 so it will stop being left all through the house! LOL...

Miss 9 received this beautiful crafting book this Christmas... things I would enjoy making too ...

its gorgeous!!

and we have a list of books we want to buy for her too....

9 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Wow - really impressed!! Love all the extra touches and that book at the bottom looks perfect for my little girl.

jacksta said...

Wow what an amazingly useful present. You really have thought this one through! I think I should get some tips from you on gift giving ;) Is gift giving one your love languages?

Posie Patchwork said...

Such a fantastic gift, i know my children would love it but they quite comfortable accessing all my craft supplies!! What a lovely personal touch. You'll definitely win 'best present' that's for sure!! Have a gorgeous party, love Posie

The Clip Cafe said...

We just did some sewing yesterday (it's today's post) with the miss :-) I love the box!!! And those books I will be looking up too.

Kate said...

That is just the greatest turning ten girl's prezzy!
I know my ten year old would adore it and so would her friends.
Actually, we might just have to be inspired by you and make up a couple for some up and coming birthdays.
Thanks for the great idea.

Cat said...

great gift Leonie
put together with such care
she'll love it!!!!

love and light

Mon said...

Oh that's gorgeous! My nearly 9yr old would go mental over that! She loves sewing, and is great at it, unlike myself.

makeitgiveit said...

This would have been my DREAM present as a child. It is a beautiful idea. I am trying to be more crafty with my littlies this year.

Maree: said...

Wonderful to see the Encouragement of our Future Sewers...Great Job I'm sure it was a Hit...
cheers